Sunday, February 10, 2013

Burns Night 2013

On the night before our Burns Supper this year, we started the vegetarian cock-a-leekie soup so the seasonings could merge for a day and get really yummy.

The next day was particularly beautiful, so we decided to take a bike ride before the big meal. I'd finally gotten brave enough to go along on the scary busy roads to a quiet neighborhood Jonathan likes to ride in, and all was going well till we went down a multi-use path to go home. I was simply going too fast when I tried to get around a grizzly bear sized jogger who stepped into my path just as I reached him. Crash-bang-boom, we were in the road but thankfully not beneath the tires of any oncoming traffic. He was addled but fine, as any bear would be, but my arm was bent in ways arms shouldn't bend.

The rest of the day was a cloud of pain, mostly spent in the emergency room. After strange and unusual treatments there...

...I was sent home with an ill-fitting splint, lots of drugs, and an order to call the surgeon on Monday.

Waiting till Monday was not very fun. My fingers started to look like sausages.

And I was forced to stay very still or else puke up my orange juice. I quickly learned what I can and cannot do with one hand, which resulted in my hair-growing-out project getting cut short and my learning that I can put on a bra, if needed, with one good arm.

Monday finally came, and the surgeon was very nice and gave me a fresh cast in a pretty baby blue. I went through an entire childhood waiting for a cast to draw on. Now I had one!

Unfortunately, I also had four breaks in my arm right where it met the wrist. Surgery was imminent.

The next several days were spent feeling not bad at all. The pain was suppressed by ibuprofen alone, I was able to take a walk and stay awake most of the day, and I was even making elaborate lesson plans (typing one-handed takes a while) for a substitute teacher to take my class during surgery week. That's when we decided we should do our Burns Supper, a week late, while I was feeling pretty good, since it might be a while till that happened again.

Jonathan did almost everything. The meal takes hours to prepare, even without a traditional haggis, though let it be said we had the most traditional haggis we've had yet. There was the vegetarian cock-a-leekie soup to prepare (again), there were the neeps and tatties, and a meat haggis, and a vegetarian haggis, and most important of all, sticky toffee pudding. My main job was to model my new kilt and do dessert the best I could.

Though it doesn't look like much, the vegetarian haggis was delicious. Here's the recipe. Don't snub it till you've tried it! It's basically a really involved Thanksgiving-style stuffing.

And Jonathan says the meaty haggis wasn't bad either, a bit like liver.

The Bowmore didn't disappoint.

And dessert was as good as ever.

A good time was had by all.

That gave me positive feelings going into surgery two days later. But I still cried when they put in the IV.

The operation ended up involving more metal than expected plus bone matter from two donors and a cast (plain old white) that'll stay on for six weeks. For the first few days after, I looked like this...

...and dreamt I was a forgetful ghost. But as you can see, all the pets were rooting for me.

Surgery was only five days ago, and time has gone by surprisingly quickly. I've cut way back on the pain medication (I hate taking those pills), and I just took a walk with Jonathan and Harvey and had hardly any pain at all. Tomorrow I see the doctor, and hopefully Tuesday get back to the classroom where I belong.

It could have been much worse, this whole thing. But it wasn't. And I've had a good nurse who took off nearly a week from work to keep me from stumbling about too much whilst medicated. In the end, I'm thankful. Why shouldn't I be? But I do hope the events surrounding Burns Night next year are a bit less dramatic :)